The Bobbitt Family In America

Table of Contents Next

Image View [1]
ISHAM BOBBITT      1754 - 1836

Revolutionary War Service Record

Among the interesting papers in our Bobbitt family history are the files retained by the federal government on persons who applied for benefits as a result of their service in the army of the Revolution. The records were written by hand-and are difficult to read. There was little or no punctuation. These abstracts were taken from the service records of Isham Bobbitt.

State of Illinois                    September 3, 1832 

County of Morgan                     At Open Court

Isham Bobbet a resident of this county, aged 78 years, who being duly sworn according to law, doth under oath make the following declaration:

That he entered the service of the United States as a volunteer in the county of Warren, North Carolina, about the first of February 1780. That he was mustered into service at that time under the command of Captain Chirstman and marched to Halifax where we were met by Colonel Allen, who took the command of the regiment. He marched us to Tarborough and thence to Cross Creek and Camden, thence to Nelsons Ferry near Monks Corner, thirty miles from Charleston. In a few days the Brittish troops took Charleston and then we were marched back to Camden in company with Colonel Bluford, at which place we parted from him. We marched under the command of General Caswell to Fayettesville and continued stationed there until the last of June, at which time we were discharged.

"I was first sergeant during the whole of this campaign. I then went and worked a three months tour with Colonel Long, a Quarter Master General. I was a wagon maker and repaired wagon gear for the army wagons."

Some time in January 1781, Cornwallis was pursueing General Green. Isham Bobbitt then turned out a volunteer under Captain George Nasworthy. Colonel Williams commanded our regiment and General Eaton commanded the brigade. We joined the Army under the command of General Greene near Hillsborough and marched to Guilford Courthouse, where an engagement was had with Cornwallis' army. After a few days rest, we pursued him to Ramsey's mill on Deep River, where some fighting took place. After this, our Captain was taken sick and returned home. General Green then turned his course to South Carolina. He called for volunteers and I turned out under Captain Harris and Colonel Reed about the first of April 1781, and served three months under those officers from the first of April until the first of July. I was discharged and returned home.

Image View [2]

Table of Contents Next